MUSIC AND MEMORY
Discover the Healing Power of Personalized Music
Music is a very important part of life. It has been studied and found that those with Dementia related illnesses respond to music. Personal events that are associated with music can be triggers with feelings of loneliness, depression, and other related emotions. Music helps to remember precious memories, such as wedding, first dates, church etc.
The Chaplain along with Quality of Life Department plan activities with music, such as daily devotional, music out front, and exercises. We are very excited that Signature of Memphis is getting the opportunity to train for a program called Music and Memory.
The MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Program is grounded in extensive neuroscience research about how our brains respond to music. It has been tested and proven in hundreds of long-term care facilities throughout the U.S. and Canada, A personalized music program can provide therapeutic benefits to a resident. Again and again, care professionals are finding the program is often life-changing for everyone involved:
- Finally, a way to give pleasure to persons with advanced dementia
- Offers an enjoyable, fulfilling activity for persons in dialysis, on vent or bed-bound
- Increases cooperation and attention, reduces resistance to care.
- Reduces agitation and sundowning
- Enhances engagement and socialization, fostering a calmer social environment
- Provides a valuable tool for the effort to reduce reliance on anti-psychotic and anti-anxiety medications
Our Chaplain, Quality of Life, Marketing Director, Director of Nursing and, Social Service Director are some of us that will be trained. We are partnering with Crossroads Hospice and volunteers from our community to help with this project. We are always looking to enhance the lives of our resident’s here at Signature Health Care of Memphis. If you are interested in more information please contact Rev. Tom Davis, our Chaplain, Annie Wright, our Quality of Life Director, Vonda Dowell our Marketing Director.